1 large eggplant, skin on (1 lb.)
2 medium yellow squashes (12 oz)
2 medium zucchini (12 oz)
1 tablespoon Himalayan sea salt for salting the vegetables
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced (8 oz)
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Slice the eggplant, the squashes and the zucchinis into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Place on a tray and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Himalayan sea salt. Let stand 30 minutes to extract water out of the vegetables, then rinse and pat dry. Cut into a dice.
2. Heat the olive oil in a very large, deep skillet over medium heat, 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 more minutes.
5. Add the eggplant, zucchini, and squash. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 more minutes.
6. Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, basil, Himalayan sea salt, black pepper, paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring occasionally, until all vegetables are soft, 5-10 more minutes.
7. Allow the ratatouille to cool 10 minutes before serving.
Serving Size = 2 cups