Maybe you’ve been wondering how important is it to keep a food diary? The answer is VERY!
If you truly want to lose weight and keep it off, learning about your eating habits is a crucial key to success.
Several studies have shown that people who keep a food diary are more likely to be successful in losing weight and keeping it off. In fact, a six-month study, published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine says that people keeping a food diary six days a week lost about twice as much weight as those who did not!
Keeping a food diary instantly increases your awareness of what, how much, and why you are eating. This can help you cut down on mindless munching, help pinpoint triggers to avoid such as not eating enough throughout the day and then overeating at night and help to identify areas where you can make simple changes that ultimately make a big impact in losing weight.
The act of acknowledgment and reflections is an important piece of keeping a food diary. When you are fully honest and take the time to review what you wrote, you and the IHC team can see patterns that may be keeping you from losing and thus suggest alternatives to try.
Not convinced yet? Here are several other reasons food logging assists in weight loss….
- Helps to truly portion out your foods
- Makes you stop and think before you eat
- Identify if you have a calorie surplus, or deficit
- Ties in the connections to stress, emotions, timing and location related to eating habits
- Accountability – seeing your daily intake increases your perception of how much you actually eat
- Manage a chronic health condition and identify any foods that flare up your condition
- Helps you plan out basic meals and snacks in order to create a more balanced diet
A lot of our habits are subconscious, so making yourself conscious of how you eat by keeping a food diary, it makes changing your eating habits a whole lot easier!
Download our 7 day food diary below…